Download episode 2 of ‘In My Belly.’ Goes nicely with white wine. Maybe a vodka tonic.
I had no idea camping could be a culinary adventure. Our friends opened our eyes and mouths to the pleasures of bacon, pancakes and good food at the campsite in Scotts Valley.
Last June, Catalina made reservations at the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. We packed everything into our little Corolla, survived the twists and turns on Highway 17 and spent the night under the stars. In my next episode of ‘In My Belly’ – we cover all yummy options for tent-side eating.
- I first blogged about our camping trip on my Brainpickings.
- Reserve your campsite online at Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
- In addition to park signs with slashes over martini glasses, the park rangers reminded us about the strict ban on alcohol. In an SUV’s trunk, we made a discreet mini-bar of ‘grape’ juice, ‘potato’ water, ‘wheat’ soda and other delightful beverages.
- By the way, there are also park signs saying ‘No pets.’ However, we camped next to a family with an adorable beagle. Bottom line: it seems like the park rangers are selective when it comes to enforcing the rules.
- If you forget food and other supplies at home, there’s Safeway nearby on Mt Hermon Rd. That’s where we picked up bacon plus Hersey chocolate bars, graham crackers and marshmallows for s’mores.
- I loved using Scott’s Grill. I think Target is selling an updated version of the the Coleman 2-burner stove. It runs on propane and it’s really easy to use.
So. This is my second episode of ‘In My Belly’ – like it? Any questions? Comments? Ideas for another episode? Please let me know by leaving a message on this entry.